Projects: Wednesbury Levelling Up Partnership
Start: October 2023
Delivery: March 2025
In September 2023, Sandwell Council and the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities agreed the programme that will be delivered as part of their Levelling Up Partnership.
Levelling up Partnerships are about identifying practical, actions to support priority places to ‘level up’ and to help government develop a more comprehensive understanding of places and the challenges they face.
The Levelling Up Partnership focuses on the Wednesbury area of Sandwell and builds upon regeneration and plans in place to deliver ambitious projects for the community with £20.4 million investment.
Sandwell Council is one of the first local authorities in the country to have a Levelling Up Partnership. This follows on from Sandwell gaining over £107 million investment from funds including the Towns Fund and the Levelling Up Fund.
The Levelling Up Partnership will help Sandwell Council deliver much-needed new homes, help tackle crime and antisocial behaviour, improve green spaces and Wednesbury town centre, and expand the Millennium Centre so that more can be done to give people the skills they need to secure better jobs.
To find out more, please click the LUP Projects:
- Wednesbury Town Centre – making it greener with new trees and planting, and creating long term plans to tackle derelict sites and keep the town thriving
- Friar Park Urban Village – Preparing the land at Friar Park Urban Village ready to build 630 new homes
- Community Safety – Helping partners tackle crime and antisocial behaviour with new and improved CCTV, engaging with residents and businesses to help tackle crime and anti-social behaviour, and discouraging nuisance bike activity with changes to greenspaces
- Greenspaces – Improving greenspaces at Hydes Road Playing Fields, Balls Hill Open Space, Wyntor Lane Open Space, Lakeside and Norbury Road Open Space
- Millennium Centre – Expanding the Friar Park Millennium Centre to accommodate a wider range of services enabling people to improve skills and access better jobs
Check back here for project updates
Wednesbury Levelling Up Partnership Board
Sandwell Council have set up a partnership board to oversee the Levelling Up Partnership.
The Wednesbury Levelling Up Partnership Board brings together a range of representatives including councillors, MPs, statutory bodies, business leaders, voluntary sector representatives and young people. To find out more about the Board and its members you can view the Wednesbury Levelling Up Partnership Board Terms of Reference.
To see agendas and minutes of meetings of the Wednesbury Levelling Up Partnership click here: Wednesbury Levelling Up Partnership Board
For any queries contact us at Wednesbury_LUP@sandwell.gov.uk